…just not yet.
In the meantime he has released a tantalising new adventure to keep us in touch with the world of Westeros, A Knight of The Seven Kingdoms. Taking place 100 years before the events in Game of Thrones, it follows the story of Ser Duncan the Tall, a lowly hedge knight seeking his fortune through brave deeds. Luckily, or perhaps unluckily, he unwittingly takes a Targaryen princeling to squire – Aegon. Together on their journeys across the seven kingdoms, he tries to teach ‘Egg’ some knightly ways, and Egg tries to teach ‘Dunk’ some courtly manners, often with dubious results.
Lessons from a Hedge Knight:
* Hedge Knights serve where they will for causes they believe in
* Do what your told or you’ll get a clout in the ear
* “A squire must keep a courteous tongue”
* Treat ladies with respect
* “Sit and eat and listen and might be you will learn some things”
* “A squire needs be strong” This may involve seeing something gory, or physical labour.
The adventures of Dunk & Egg have everything you have come to expect from a George R R Martin fantasy work- knights, chivalry, entitled lords, dragon eggs, damsels in distress and action galore. If you have never read any of the Game of Thrones novels, don’t worry- this book can be read as a one off! (and it’s much less gory). Perfect for dipping your toe in the water.